Monday

Food | The Bee's Knees

First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you. ~Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald

Bees Knees 3

I like the simple things in life. Someone holds the door for me- like. Someone smiles back at me, when I smile at them- like. A delicious cocktail- like, a lot. There really is nothing like a good cocktail to shake off a bad week or to toast a really great one; alcohol is equal opportunity- like!

My birthday is in a week and this weekend my friends and I are commemorating the day with a potluck bbq garden party- a who’s who of my nearest and dearest. Lately we have been into cocktails- mojitos, caprinia’s and spritzers alike; and this party is no different. We have been brainstorming all kinds of tipples for this event. But some of our favorite aforementioned cocktails require a lot of garnish; and from experience I know that garnish only serves to make the drink look better (for about 5 minutes or the time it takes to photograph) and to clog up the sink the next day. Rounding up cups with nothing but sticky residue and garnish is not cute at all.

Bees Knees 1

When I saw this recipe on Ashley Rodriguez’s site Not Without Salt, I was intrigued- likely due to her amazing photography; but I was also frightened. You see, I am not a gin drinker- I have had far too many of “those” nights when gin was in the mix; and although my hangovers aren’t as bad when I drink gin, I would rather tough out the vodka hangover rather than unleashed a gin-ed out Bianca into the world. Despite this, I decided to try this; also because the title of this cute little sipper is one of my monikers- for months my BBM handle was Bee’s Knee’s. If that wasn’t a sign, I don’t know what is.

The manual labor of this drink is slim; aside from making the honey syrup, this is all assembly. Gin, syrup, lemon juice, ice- shake. Pour over ice and top with a skiv of tonic water (which is the only variation.

Happy Birthday to me! Yes, this is what I said when I took the first sip; and no matter when you sip this lightly sweet and crisp interpretation of this notorious spirit, you’ll feel like it’s your birthday too.

And remember, they don’t call gin The Panty Dropper for nothing; so proceed with caution.

Bees Knees 2

Bee’s Knees
c/o Not Without Salt

1 ½ oz gin
½ oz lemon juice
¾ oz honey syrup*
1/3 cup tonic water

Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain over ice into a chilled cocktail glass; and top with tonic water. Garnish with lemon- if you'd like.
Feel free to adjust the honey- some like it sweeter than others.

*Honey Syrup
Combine equal parts honey and water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir until honey is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool slightly then place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. The curly-cue straw makes the drink even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I fell in love with them. Cute straws are the best for sipping delicious cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well happy birthday to you!! Mine is coming up soon too. eek! haha
    I might need to try this drink out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy early birthday to you Ash; drinks always help on birthday's- have one of these, and I promise you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of a sudden I'm so thirsty!!! =))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha Val, this drink will definitely do that to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds excellent! I'm not a big liquor person (I usually stick to beer or wine), but I think this might be worth a try. Looks very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so refreshing; it might just make you a convert!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit; and for your kind words!