Sunday

Food | Oscar Quiche

“A girl should be two things- classy and fabulous”
Coco Chanel

37

When I was in culinary school and we made Quiche Lorraine- the classic quiche of bacon, green onions and cheddar- it made me think of the Nat King Cole song " Sweet Lorraine"; I know I annoyed my teachers and classmates by singing "My quiche Lorraine, Loooraine"; likely because I sound nothing like Nat King Cole and because I only know the hook. Repetition can be rather annoying, and I think a belated apology is in order- sorry guys.

12

And Quiche, like the King himself, is a classic. When I was in the catering business, my partner and I catered a luncheon for my Nan, my 89 year old Nan and all her college sorority sisters; and what is a classy luncheon with the golden girls without quiche? As we prepped the quiche Lorraine, I quietly hummed the Kings song to myself!

65

But I digress.

When my friends and I decided to have an Oscar party, without hesitation I declared that Quiche would be my contribution; classy, bite sized and always a star- the perfect addition to a classy Oscar affair.

412

For our gala gathering, I decided to make the classic Lorraine and to be a little nouveau a kale and feta rendition. And as expected, they were stars; bite sized, classy and effortlessly delicious. And because Quiche Lorraine has such a catchy name, I thought my vegetarian option deserved the same- so I named it Quiche King Cole. Cute and completely fitting!

9


Quiche Lorraine
6 rashers of bacon, cooked and crumbled
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
6 green onions, sliced
12 mini tart shells

Quiche King Cole
1 head of Kale, chopped
½ cup feta cheese
12 mini tart shells


Egg mixture
6 eggs
¼ heavy cream
½ cup chives, chopped
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, chives, salt and pepper together.

Quiche King Cole
Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan on medium high heat; add the kale and toss for 1 minute or until the kale is wilted. Remove from heat and toss with feta cheese. Allow to cool- about 5 minutes- then fill each tart shell halfway with the kale mixture. Fill with the eggs mixture.

Quiche Lorraine
Combine the cheddar, crumbled bacon and green onions together. Fill each tart shell halfway with the bacon mixture; then fill with the egg mixture.

Brush the edges of the tart shells with heavy cream. And arrange on a baking tray and bake for 14 minutes, or until the eggs have set. Remove from the oven and cool- Quiche can be served at warm or at room temperature.

8

Speaking of Oscar, Melissa Leo stole the show- the F bomb was legendary! And best dressed, hands down, Michelle Williams; she looked like an angel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit; and for your kind words!