Friday

Food | Basil, Mint and Cashew Pesto

Basil Mint and Cashew pesto 1

It was about a month ago that I made this pesto; and I had fully intended to post about immediately- it’s so good and I was inspired to share.

But then summer happened; it seemed to come out of nowhere. Summer started slow here, but then it really began to pick up speed; and just like that, this lovely little pesto fell to the bottom of my to do list. What, with patio season being a blink around here, sitting at home and writing about my emerald wonder seemed preposterous.

Basil Mint and Cashew pesto 5

After an amazing week in Montreal, spent sampling some of the best that North American food culture has to offer, I came home revitalized and ready to get back to blogging business; or semi business really. Although temperatures are soaring, I can feel the denouement of summer dawning; so despite my renewed blog vigor, I am going to keep this brief.

This pesto features cashews, one of the butteriest nuts out there; and this said buttery-ness lends itself so well to this sauce. I slathered this on toast and I was adding it to my tuna salad- I was hooked. I was using it in almost every cooking endeavor I undertook. Believe me, it really is that good.

Basil Mint and Cashew pesto 6

To keep this on the summer side of things, you could use this as a part of marinade for grilled meats or slather it on freshly grilled corn; this is the time to go wild people! My love for this pesto runs deeps, so don’t be surprised if you see this lovely little concoction making a winter cameo in my soups and stews.

Cashew Pesto

1 cup cashews
1 cup mint leaves
1 cup basil leaves
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
¾ cup olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
In a food processor blend the garlic and ¼ cup of oil; once smooth, add the cashews, mint, basil and pepper flakes. Power on the processor and slowly add the remaining oil. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice and pulse for 5 seconds. Store in an air tight container, and enjoy for for 1 week.

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to visit; and for your kind words!